Tuesday 28 May 2013

Make Windows 8 Go Straight to Desktop After Log On

Here's another valuable tip for the confused windows 8 user who doesn't like the lock metro interface. Majority of users prefer the desktop as the destination after logging in and not the metro lock interface. If you are one of the annoyed ones and wanting to get rid of it, here's the solution for you.

What I'm going to show you is to skip the lock screen after logging in. This means you go straight to the desktop after typing your user name and password. This tutorial has two parts. One is making a script or program to show the desktop, and the second part is to tell windows when to show the desktop.

Make a show desktop script.


Show desktop is available in all windows variant but I have a hard time finding it. So I goggled a script on how to show desktop. And the script is


[Shell]
 Command=2
 IconFile=Explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
 Command=ToggleDesktop

How to save the script?


Highlight and copy the script above then open notepad (this is under windows accessories, or on the lock screen (press the windows button on your keyboard just type in Notepad) and paste the script (2). Then click file (1) and save as (3) Desktop.scf. Make sure you substitute Desktop to the *(asterisk) and substitute .scf  to .txt. (4) Make note of the location of the script as you will need it later. I myself organised it under my documents. The text file is now converted into an icon with the usual show desktop sign from previous windows version(6).


How to tell Windows to show desktop after logging in.


This is just programming your computer on what to do to an event. Now, I want to tell windows to go directly to the desktop after I log in to my profile.

I open up task scheduler (control panel, Administrative Tools, Task Scheduler) click, action(7) and create a new location(folder)(8) to the task. I name it as show desktop(9).



Click to open show desktop location folder, then went back to action(10) and click Create Task. Under General, I named it showdesktop(12), and typed something (13) to describe what the task can do. I also want to run it when a specific user(that's me) is logged on(14).




Next is to set the trigger(15). Click new(16) and choose to begin the task at log on (17). Then specify which user log on will trigger the event (this time I choose my own(18)), then do not forget to click OK.


Now you are ready to set an action(19), click new(20) and choose start a program(21). Look for the show desktop script you've done before by clicking browse (22). I know that the script Desktop(23) is under my document so it was easy for me to find it. Then click OK.


Restart your computer and log on! See the magic with the video below, showing the configured user to log straight into the desktop while other accounts go to the usual Start Screen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

google.com, pub-9356159227116695, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

ShareThis

Popular Posts